Save the date for English Tourism Week (ETW) – this annual celebration of English tourism will take place on 22 – 31 May 2021. English Tourism Week highlights the importance, value and vast contribution of the sector makes to the UK economy to stakeholders including, government, MPs and ministers.
The week provides an essential opportunity to raise awareness of the sector to key stakeholders. During the week, VisitEngland works to support English destinations with political engagement nationally, regionally and locally.
English tourism: English tourism in 2019 generated £106 billion a year and supported 2.6 million jobs. It is a major employer of school leavers and young people, as well as an incubator for entrepreneurs and innovation. provides a spotlight to put tourism front of mind with key stakeholders and showcase the amazing work that goes on each and every day to build strong and resilient destinations. Local MPs will be supported with the information they need to understand just how important tourism is in their local area.
Last year’s English Tourism Week focused on engagement with Government, MPs and other stakeholders, to support the recovery of English tourism and raise awareness of the importance, quality and value of the sector to the UK economy. The campaign was a great success with the hashtag#EnglishTourismWeek20trending on Twitter, with a reach of 3.3m viewers. The week also gained widespread media coverage with nearly 300 stories spanning national and local press and broadcast outlets.
English Tourism Week can:
- Provide an opportunity to engage with your local stakeholders such as local MPs to bring attention to tourism’s contribution in your area
- Increase awareness amongst domestic and overseas visitors of the value and quality of the English tourism offer and encourage domestic travel.
Further details of the week and how to get involved will be released in due course. Look out for the toolkit to help you get involved in #EnglishTourismWeek21 and show your support for English tourism.
- You can show your support for English tourism with the hashtag #EnglishTourismWeek21.
- Feel free to add a message of support too, e.g. “I support English tourism because ..XX…” (see examples* below or create one of your own)
- On #throwbackthursdays share photos and memories of your favourite holidays in England to celebrate the times and places we love.
- Also download the ETW logos (ZIP, 5.75MB) for use in your own messaging to encourage your local stakeholders to join in.
*Examples of supportive statements:
- “I support English tourism because of its importance to our culture and heritage #EnglishTourismWeek21 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because it employs more than 2.6m people in England #EnglishTourismWeek21 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because of great local businesses in my area such as [insert name] #EnglishTourismWeek21 @VisitEnglandbiz”
HRH Prince of Wales is Patron of English Tourism Week.